Beer can chicken is so easy, any one can do it! You don't even need a fancy rub, but we've got one here if you'd like to try something different!
- Soak your wood-chips in water for about half an hour. For chicken, your can use Hickory, Apple, Alder, Cherry, Oak, Peach, Maple or one of our blends.
- Prep your Kettle by heating up the charcoal in a chimney starter for 15 minutes until the coals have a white ash coating them. Put the coals into the side baskets, put a aluminium tray in between (to catch juices) and close lid to heat up your Kettle to 200ºC.
- Pat your chicken dry on the outside. Rub lightly with oil. Mix rub ingredients together and coat chicken with rub mix.
- Open can and add a couple more holes into top.
- Place chicken onto beer-can, fold wings up so they don't burn. You can use a Gasmate Beer Can Chicken Roaster
- Drain wood chips and place a handful on top of each charcoal basket to smoke.
- Check your charcoal and wood chips half way through the cook and replenish when needed. If temperature of the Kettle starts to drop, this is a sign of needing more briquettes.
- Put chicken into Kettle. Close the lid and leave for around 1 hour 15 minutes. Check internal temperature of chicken before removing, ensuring it’s about 80ºC.
- Take the chicken off the grill and rest for about 10 minutes.