'Mopping' sauce is a thin sauce that is brushed on food during the cooking process to keep moisture in and add loads of flavour. This Bourbon & Tomato Mop Sauce is perfect for low and slow cooking. It's best made ahead of time, so the flavours have a chance to intensify.
- In a saucepan or cast iron skillet, combine garlic, minced onion (blitzed in a blender) and Bourbon. If you have fired up your offset, you can use the offset top as a hotplate. Simmer for around 10 minutes (stir frequently so the bottom doesn't stick).
- Mix in all other ingredients. Stir well.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Either: Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate to intensify flavours overnight.
Or, you can start mopping straight away.
- If you like a smoother sauce, you can strain the mop sauce through a sieve.
- Apply to meat as a mop sauce 3 to 4 times during the cook.