Apple Smoked Bacon
Easy, streaky and pure deliciousness
Home-made Bacon has always been considered a prohibitive process but now in NZ, simple dry cure products are increasingly available. Using this simple set-up you can cure and smoke your own streaky Bacon using Heatbeads and some apple wood chunks for a rich, smokey flavour.
- Trim skin from pork belly and rub with dry rub.
- Vacuum pack and place in fridge for 5 days to cure, flipping bag every 24 hours
- Remove and rinse well.
- Place back in fridge, uncovered, overnight to dry out
- Setup up smoker for indirect cooking with Heatbeads lump, and 2-3 apple wood chunks – don’t be afraid to give it a good smoke
- Smoke at 250F for a couple of hours until it reaches 145F internal
- Allow to cool slightly and place back in fridge. Slice when well chilled.
- Store and cook when ready,