Charcoal – Charcoal grate on lowest height.
Snake method on right with 2 charcoals on the bottom layer and 1 on top (see pic) to keep a consistent 225 – 250ºF (107 – 120ºC)
Vents – Right Bottom vent open
Top left vent open (all other vents closed)
- Preheat Cob barrel BBQ & smoker with a charcoal snake to 225ºF, layer wood chunks on first half of the snake
- Trim silver skin and outer layers of fat off your beef cheeks
- Lube your beef cheeks with Olive Oil and generously apply your rub
- Place a small roasting dish with liquid on the charcoal grate opposite your charcoal snake
- Place your beef cheeks on the top rack on the opposite side of the coals
- Close the cob barrel and smoke for 3 hours or until an internal temp of 165ºF (74ºC)
- Remove the beef cheeks from the barrel and place into a small roasting dish with your vegetable stock
- Tightly cover the roasting dish with tin foil and place back into the cob barrel for another 2 hours or until an internal temp of 210ºF (99ºC)
- Check your beef cheeks by probing with a sharp skewer. When your beef cheeks have little to no resistance, they are ready to pull out.
- Remove from smoker, drain off liquid.
- Rest for 30 minutes in a chilly bin
- Slice your beef cheeks or pull apart to serve
Recipe courtesy of Eon Kerewaro